Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Pandas! Pandas! Pandas!

On Tuesday, I went out to the Giant Panda Breeding Research Base. The whole place was fairly empty; post-quake tourism is down. I most enjoyed the Giant Panda Nursery.

Oh my goodness! Baby Giant Pandas are SOOO cute! At this time of the afternoon they were indoors, playing and eating. I know the bars in this picture look pretty gloomy, but I just don't have any other good photos. The little guys looked happy and healthy. And their outdoor enclosures are spacious and fun filled.

The pictured panda was my favorite of the day--gnawing on his apple slice, in all sorts of positions, for a good 10-15 minutes. He was so adorable! A Chinese tourist made a donation to the Research Center and got to hold him on her lap for a little photo session.

My stroll around the rest of the grounds was relaxed but educational, and HOT. I really like this quote:

"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught."
~Baba Dioum~

No comments: