Saturday, August 16, 2008

July 1, 2008

Hello Friends and Loved Ones,

I’m nestled on the soft, red faux-suede fabric of a new IKEA L-shaped sofa, at the P. LOFT Youth Hostel. It’s a new establishment in a Hutong neighborhood, still largely under construction as the owners prepare for the Olympics next month.

It’s overcast and drizzling outside, but I’m cozy inside, resumes, electronic accessories, calendar, books, pens sprawled across coffee table, couch and floor in a spacious corner of the rec room.

And ah! My spaghetti bologniese has just arrived. Tonight I needed that something special that only Chinese Italian food can give ya, for that extra emotional comfort.

As I pour over NGO, school and housing related websites, I go through tissues like crazy. It’s a cold, agitated by pollution. Or pollution aggravated by a cold. Tomorrow I’m supposed to finish registration for my upcoming Chinese language course.

No comments: