Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Best Paralympic Volunteer Position EVER

When I first went to register my credential, the BOCOG people told me that I wasn’t going to get a uniform because I wasn’t an official volunteer. My credential said “ke ren” (“guest”). Shoulders sagged a little, Oh, so I’m not a real volunteer… Little did I know that I actually had the coolest volunteer position ever.


I was the translator for a group of American VIP (sponsors of the US Paralympic Team). There were two waves of VIP, each in China for less than 5 days. My job was to communicate with our bus driver, make meal reservations, and assist if anything else came up along the way.


I got to accompany the VIP group everywhere: sports events, sightseeing, fancy meals. We had really long days (up to 17 hours a day), but all fun stuff. My work felt pretty minimal, as my supervisor had done great prep work, and the venues were stock full of helpful Chinese volunteers with English skills.


I got the sweetest credential (access to all games and Family and Friends Lounges, even on my days off). Our seats were always prime. My supervisors were really cool and answered all my questions about game rules and Paralympic history. So I learned a lot too.


Games I watched: ( * = favorites)

  • Opening and Closing Ceremonies
  • Swimming
  • Track and Field
  • Sitting Volleyball*
  • Wheelchair Basketball*
  • Wheelchair Rugby*
  • Wheelchair Tennis
  • Cycling
  • Goal Ball

We got special entrance into the Athlete’s Village and ate lunch with some US athletes. The cafeteria was huge and had a huge array of international foods. We met the Chinese athlete who lit the cauldron here!


Throughout the games, I had a great room at the Hilton, headquarters of the USOC and the accommodations for our VIP groups. Ah, such a step up over my dorm bed in my hutong hostel. And although I didn’t get the blue and white volunteer uniform, I got gear. It felt like Christmas!


That’s enough bragging for a whole year. In short, it was an awesome experience. And now I want to find out more about where to watch adaptive sports back home, especially sit volleyball, wheelchair basketball and wheelchair rugby.

1 comment:

Coloradan said...

You should definitely watch Murderball (documentary) when you get a chance.