Monday, May 14, 2007

NGO Enthusiasm

I'm back in Saigon, and just returned from dinner with my friend Kerry's friend Tom. (he he, just had to say it that way.) Tom started this wonderful thing called The Library Project (see http://www.nomadicmarketing.com/). He opens low-cost libraries in orphanages, and like-places, in China, Vietnam and Cambodia--the average cost of one library is $150!

Anyway, it was great to learn about his experience with non-profit work abroad, especially the difference between the Asian countries. And how to overcome obstacles and maneuver within cultural/political/social/economic/historical contexts--ahh, it's a sociologist's dream.

Tom's day job is contract work, website design. The Library Project is his charity work. Another check mark to add to my mental list.

Okay, I tried to call another contact (one who knows about refugee work in Asia), but Skype fails me tonight. So now that I've spilled my NGO enthusiasm into this blog, it is time to get back to my guesthouse and get some sleep.

Lots of love to you all!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Hi Deme,

Your Asian NGO enthusiasm is contagious, and I'm eager to hear more about your thoughts on resolving those cross-cultural differences in the midst of implementing socially beneficial programs. (ex: your friend's library - amazing.)

I'll be off in the field exploring similar issues when I work in Chengdu and Dayi all of next year helping to start up a microfinance unit! Needless to say, in anticipation of that, i'm hanging on your every word. Thanks for your humorous and insightful comments.

-Meg Young